From 23 June to 14 September, the Italian Cultural Institute of Berlin organizes a rich program of concerts, readings and performances in the courtyard of the Italian Embassy, to accompany the public in the discovery of Italian culture. Many events have been planned to celebrate Dante’s anniversary.
- ‘Dante 700‘: a portrait of Dante and the places associated with the poet in Massimo Sestini’s photographs, a photographic narrative in twenty images that begins in Florence, Dante’s hometown, and ends up in Ravenna, the city where he spent his final days. The narration goes through the spring of the Arno river on Mount Falterona and the stations of Venice, Rome, Verona and Poppi, to show that the Poet is still very topical today.
- The Indaco Quartet in concert: the musicians will play thirty-four very short new compositions for string quartet, each evoking a specific Canto from Inferno.
- The Nous Quartet in concert: Tiziano Baviera (violin), Alberto Franchin (violin), Sara Dambruoso (viola) and Tommaso Tesini (cello) in a performance ranging from Mendelssohn to Beethoven.
- ‘O Poesia, non vernirmi addosso’: a reading performance by Elettra de Salvo and Catia Gatelli and an conversation between Maria Carolina Foi and Theresia Prammer on the occasion of the 90th birthday of one of the most important Italian poets of the 20th century, Alda Merini.
- Duo Copiello – Susani in concert: Giacomo Copiello and Giacomo Susani, guitarists, perform Mendelssohn, Schubert and original compositions.
- ‘Cerco l’estate tutto l’anno’: between nostalgia and cult music, a journey through the Italian repertoire of canzone and canzonetta.
- ‘Pia’ by Motus Danza: in the performance, the story of Pia de’ Tolomei, a real femicide, becomes a symbol of gendered violence and an instrument for investigating the contemporary nature of Dante Alighieri’s work.
- ‘Il suono di Dante’ (The Sound of Dante): the sound work places an accent on the Divine Comedy’s musicality, trying to bring out the intrinsic musicality of Dante’s verses in an unmistakeable way.
14 September 2021
- Convivio / Das Bankett: a theatrical-musical performance that proposes itself as a journey into Dante’s poetry, philosophy, and world of ideas and images, with staging by Christian Bertram.
For more information and details on the programme: iicberlino.esteri.it