The Italian Cultural Institute of New York presents the project by Emilio Vavarella, winner of the Sixth Edition of the Italian Council – programme for promoting Italian contemporary art around the world of the Directorate-General for Contemporary Creativity of the Italian Ministry of Culture – with the event: rs548049170_1_69869_TT: Genesis of an Idea, curated by Ramdom.
The title ‘rs548049170_1_69869_TT The Other Shapes of Me’ which shapes the entire project, refers to the first line of text resulting from the genotyping of Vavarella’s DNA. The work consists of a translation, carried out by the artist’s mother through analogue and digital processes, of the genetic code in fabric, using one of the first modern computational machines: the Jacquard loom. The final result is a monumental work composed of a fabric, a loom and a movie now in the permanent collection of MAMbo – Museo d’Arte Moderna in Bologna.
The programme will be live streamed on the Ramdom Facebook Page on March 16, from 12:00 to 13:30 (ECT) / from 18:00 to 19:30 (CET), with introductory remarks by Fabio Finotti (Director of the Italian Cultural Institute of New York), and with:
- Emilio Vavarella (Artist and researcher, Harvard University)
- Paolo Mele (Director of Ramdom)
- Claudio Zecchi (Curator of Ramdom)
- Stephen Monteiro (Media Scholar and Theorist, Department of Communication Studies at Concordia University, Montreal)
- Ursula Wolz (Lecturer, Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts, The New School, New York)
The screening of the film ‘Genesis’ and the presentation of the publication edited by MOUSSE will frame the discussion of some theoretical aspects of the project.