The 20th edition of the Week of the Italian Language in the World, scheduled from 19 to 25 October 2020, is dedicated to a fascinating theme tied to a rich imagery of graffiti, illustrations and comics. The events and activities examine forms of expression that enhance the Italian language through images, with special emphasis on comics, graphic novels and more generally publications for children and teenagers.
All the partners of the initiative help enrich the programme through specific projects and cultural products to study in depth the various aspects of this year’s theme.
- The Ministry of University and Research has expressed its intention to involve universities and Academies of Art, Music and Dance (AFAM).
- The Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism offers the support of its Directorate General for Libraries as well as an international version of ‘Fumetti nei Musei‘ (Comics in Museums) for a young audience.
- Centro per il Libro e la Lettura (Centre for Books and Reading) is taking part in the 2020 edition, including the activities as part of ‘Maggio dei Libri’ (May Book Month) and creating a series of online activities on the theme of Italy as a “dictionary”: illustrators and graphic novelists will represent graphically one or more words congenial to their vision of art and create a video clip.
- The Accademia della Crusca, as usual, edits a collection of essays on the theme of the event.
The Swiss Confederation with its Diplomatic Representations collaborates in the organization of events and activities.
- Finally, Lucca Comics launches the annual competition for young cartoonist talent among the Week’s initiatives.