The Italian Cultural Institute of Algiers is an official body of the Italian State that depends directly on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and has operational autonomy. The institutional task of the Institute is to promote, support and develop relationships of exchange and cooperation in the cultural, scientific and technological fields between Algeria and Italy.
The Institute offers the following services:
- Information on Italian education and culture;
- Information on study grants offered by the Italian Government under the cultural cooperation agreement;
- Information on the support offered by the Italian government for the promotion of the Italian language (publishing, universities, high schools …);
- Complete the formalities for enrolment at Italian universities;
- Take courses in Italian language and culture;
- Sit exams to obtain the Italian language certificate issued by the Roma 3 University;
- Visit the library and the media library to consult the books, video documents, DVDs, audio cassettes, CD-Roms. After registering with “Gli Amici dell’Istituto”, take works out on loan, except those reserved for consultation only;
- To use the Internet point located in the library.
In collaboration with leading Algerian cultural institutions, the Institute organizes various cultural events throughout the year. In particular, in collaboration with local universities, it organizes the “Week of the Italian Language in the World”and, in collaboration with the Embassy of Italy, it organizes “The Italian Cultural Season”, which every year presents a series of high-culture events and initiatives in the last few months of the year.
The Institute participates every year in the “European Cultural Festival”, which is held in May, promoted by the local Representation of the European Commission.
There is also an established “Cultural Collaboration Committee” at the Institute, made up of prestigious representatives of Algerian culture, academia and economy, as well as representatives of the Italian community of Algiers.