The Institute has the task of promoting Italian cultural heritage in its various expressions through initiatives that may, on the one hand, illustrate the many sides of Italy and, on the other , offer opportunities for meeting and dialogue between the local culture and the Italian culture, for the mutual promotion resulting from the interaction.
According to these purposes, the Institute is responsible for organizing cultural events, cultural cooperation and scientific research (conferences and debates), supporting the dissemination of literary, cinematographic and theatrical works by Italian authors in the Serbian language.
As a privileged tool for approaching Italian culture, the Institute offers Italian language courses (standard and intensive) and advanced courses in specific aspects, such as conversation or specialist language.
It also organizes preparatory courses for language proficiency certificates and professional refresher seminars for Italian teachers.
The Italian Cultural Institute of Belgrade offers the following services to the Serbian public:
- on-site and off-site courses in Italian language and culture, held by qualified teachers and advanced courses held by native Italian teachers
- two annual exam sessions to obtain the certificate of Italian as a foreign language
- refresher courses for Italian teachers
- information on studying in Italy, enrolment at Italian universities, declarations of value, study grants from the Italian government</li>
- an Italian library open to students and members for the consultation and loan of Italian books, CDs, DVDs, magazines, journals and newspapers
- information and documentation on Italian culture.
For concerts, for some art exhibitions and for larger events, the Institute works in collaboration with:
- local academic, art institutions and museums, such as the Academy of Sciences and Fine Arts, the National Museum, the Museum of Applied Arts, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Cultural Centre of Belgrade, the Sava Centar.
- theatres, such as the National Theatre, Yugoslavian Theatre, Belgrade Drama Theatre, BITEF Theatre
- the main cultural foundations of the city, such as the Kolarac Foundation
- and in general numerous institutions dependent on the Serbian Ministry of Culture and on the Municipal Authority of Belgrade.
The main festivals in which the Institute usually actively and regularly participates are the Belgrade International Theatre Festival (BITEF), the Belgrade Music Festival (BEMUS), the Belgrade Summer Festival (BELEF), the FEST Film Festival and the Dance Festival.
The Institute also participates annually with its own stand at the Belgrade International Book Fair, which takes place in October.