The Italian Cultural Institute of Guatemala City, official body of the Italian State, aims to promote and improve awareness of the Italian language and culture in Guatemala through the organization of cultural events to promote the circulation of ideas, arts and sciences.
The Italian Cultural Institute of Guatemala City offers the following services to the Guatemalan public:
- courses in Italian language and culture held by qualified native Italian teachers
- Italian cooking courses
- two annual exam sessions to obtain the Certificate of Italian as a Foreign Language (CELI), from the University for Foreigners of Perugia
- a library in Italian open to students and the general public for the consultation and loan of books
- support in researching institutions, universities and schools for studying in Italy
- support for the pre-enrolment of Guatemalan citizens at Italian universities
- declaration of value of academic qualifications.
The Italian Cultural Institute in Guatemala has established fruitful collaborations in the cultural field with some prestigious local academic institutions, such as the Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala, the Universidad Rafael Landívar and the Universidad Francisco Marroquín.
In the publishing field and in support of international cooperation initiatives, there are collaborations with Editorial Cultura of the Ministerio de Cultura y Deportes and the Fondo de Cultura Económica.
For the organization of musical and exhibition events, it is also supported by the local Ministerio de Cultura y Deportes and other cultural organizations, such as the Alliance Française, Instituto Guatemalteco Americano (IGA), Centro Cultural España, Centro Cultural Mexicano and the main foundations, such as the Fundación Paiz, Fundación Rozas-Botrán and Fundación G&T Continental.
The external venues used for cultural activities include in particular the Teatro Nacional Miguel Ángel Asturias, the “Dick Smith” Theatre of the IGA, the Lux Theatre, the “Juan Bautista Gutiérrez” Auditorium of the UFM, the Templo de Santo Domingo in Antigua Guatemala and the Centro de Formación of the Cooperación Española.