The Italian Cultural Institute of Cordoba is an official body of the Italian State. Its main purpose is to promote and improve awareness of the Italian language and culture in Argentina (especially in its area of competence, which includes the central northern area of the country) , through the organization of cultural events that promote the circulation of ideas, arts and sciences.
The Italian Cultural Institute of Cordoba offers the following services to the local public:
- courses in Italian language and culture held by qualified native Italian teachers or graduates from the Faculty of Languages of the National University of Cordoba;
- two annual exam sessions to obtain the Certificate of Italian as a Foreign Language (CILS) of the University for Foreigners of Siena;
- two annual exam sessions to obtain the certificate of Teaching Italian as a Foreign Language (DITALS);
- Italian library open to students and members of the Institute for the consultation and loan of Italian books, CDs, DVDs, magazines, journals and newspapers;
- information and related formalities for those wishing to apply for a study grant from the Italian government or from public and/or private academic bodies and institutions.
The annual programme of the Institute offers a wide variety of cultural events, some of which organized in collaboration with the principal local museums and art institutions, such as the MEC (Emilio Caraffa Museum), the Museo Superior de Bellas Artes Evita- Palacio Ferreyra, the Museo Muncipal Dr. Genaro Pérez, the Cabildo Histórico de la Ciudad de Córdoba, the Teatro del Libertador, the Sala de las Américas de la UNC, the Auditorium Diego de Torres of the Universidad Católica de Córdoba, with numerous Faculties of the National and Catholic University of Córdoba, of the Provincial and Municipal Departments of Culture of Cordoba.
The main activities in which the Institute usually actively and regularly participates include the Cordoba Book Fair and the Mercosur International Theatre Festival.