The Italian Cultural Institute of Krakow, official body of the Italian State, aims to promote and improve awareness of the Italian language and culture in Poland through the organization of cultural events to promote the circulation of ideas, arts and sciences.
The Italian Cultural Institute in Krakow offers the following services to the Polish public:
- courses in Italian language and culture held by qualified teachers
- two annual exam sessions to obtain the Certificate of Italian Language
- an Italian library open to users for consultation and loan of Italian books, CDs, DVDs , magazines, journals and newspapers
- Information and documentation on Italian culture
- A broad range of cultural initiatives throughout the year
For concerts, for some art exhibitions and for wider-reaching events, the Institute works in collaboration with:
- local art and museum institutions such as the National Museum of Krakow, the Museum of Krakow, the Archaeological Museum and the Archdiocesan Museum, the Centre of Jewish Culture of Kazimiersz, Capella Cracoviensis, the Slowacki Theatre and the Academy of Theatrical Arts
- the main cultural institutions of the city of Krakow and of Southern Poland, such as the Jagiellonian University, the Auschwitz Museum, the International Cultural Centre of Krakow, the Pontifical Academy of Theology, the John Paul II Pastoral Institute, as well as Villa Decius.
The main festivals in which the Institute usually actively and regularly participates include the Music Festival in old Krakow, the “Misteria Paschalia” Festival, the International Festival “Musica Obliata e Riscoperta” (Music Forgotten and Rediscovered), the “Musica delle nostre radici” Festival (Music of Our Roots), Jaroslaw.
In Poland, the Institute holds numerous concerts with various Italian local authorities (municipalities, provinces and regions) and works in collaboration with with cultural institutions of other EU and non-EU countries operating in Krakow.