The Italian Cultural Institute of Melbourne, the official body of the Italian State, aims to promote and improve awareness of the Italian language and culture in Australia, through the organization of cultural events in all sectors (art, cinema, music, photography, design …), the organization of courses in Italian language and culture and a library with books and DVDs that can be consulted on site or taken out on loan. For this purpose, the Institute works in collaboration with with the main festivals of the city (Melbourne International Film Festival, Melbourne Writers Festival, Lavazza Italian Film Festival, etc.), with cultural institutions and with universities and schools.
The Italian Cultural Institute of Melbourne offers the following services to the Australian public:
- courses in Italian language and culture held by qualified native Italian teachers;
- two annual exam sessions to obtain the certificate of Italian as a foreign language, the CILS organized by the University for Foreigners of Siena;
- two annual sessions for certificates in teaching Italian as a foreign language, DITALS;
- an Italian library open to the public for consultation and loan of Italian books, CDs, DVDs, magazines and newspapers;
- information and documentation on Italian culture.