The Italian Cultural Institute of New Delhi, an official body of the Italian State, aims to promote and improve awareness of the Italian language and culture in India through the organization of cultural events to promote the circulation of ideas, arts and of sciences.
The Italian Cultural Institute of New Delhi offers the following services to the Indian public:
- courses in Italian language and culture held by qualified teachers
- an Italian library open to students and members of the Institute for the consultation and loan of Italian books, CDs, DVDs, magazines, journals and newspapers
- Information and documentation on Italian culture
For concerts, some art exhibitions and for wider-reaching events, the Institute works in collaboration with:
- local cultural, art institutions and museums, such as the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR), the National Museum, the National Gallery of Modern Art, the Lalit Kala Akademi
- theatres, such as the Siri Fort Auditorium, the Kamani Auditorium, the Ficci Auditorium, the Nandan Theatre (Mumbai), the National Centre for the Performing Arts (Mumbai), the National School of Drama
- the numerous cultural centres in New Delhi including the India Habitat Centre, the India International Centre
The main international events the Institute usually actively and regularly takes part in include the Goa and Kolkata International Film Festivals of India (IFFI), the Delhi Contemporary Art Triennal.