The Italian Cultural Institute in Brazil, the official organ of the Italian State, promotes and improves awareness of the Italian language and culture in Brazil.
The Italian Cultural Institute of Rio de Janeiro offers the following services:
- courses in Italian language and culture held by qualified native Italian teachers or teachers trained in Italy;
- Two annual exam sessions to obtain the certificate of Italian as a foreign language, two exam sessions for the Certificate of Italian as a Foreign Language (CILS) of the University of Siena and Italian language proficiency exams for candidates applying for postgraduate courses in Italy;
- An Italian library open to students and those interested, who can register to consult and loan Italian books, CDs, DVDs, magazines and newspapers;
- Information and documentation on Italian culture.
For cultural events, the Institute works in collaboration with the biggest and most prestigious Brazilian institutions, including:
- Museu Nacional de Belas Artes;
- Museu Histórico Nacional;
- Centro Cultural do Banco do Brasil;
- Centro Cultural da Justiça Federal;
- Museu de Arte Moderna;
- Museu da República;
- Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Niterói;
- Theatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro;
- Sala Cecília Meireles.