The Italian Cultural Institute of Tokyo, the official body of the Italian State, has the aim of promoting relations between Japan and Italy.
The Italian Cultural Institute of Tokyo offers the following services to the Japanese public:
- courses in Italian language and culture held by native Italian teachers;
- official exams for certificates of Italian as a foreign language;
- study grants in Italy offered by Italian language schools;
- information on studying at Italian language schools and vocational training schools;
- assignment of study grants offered by the Italian government;
- procedures for pre-enrolment at universities, academies of fine arts and music conservatories in Italy;
- Cultural events: concerts, film screenings, seminars, conferences, exhibitions, theatrical performances, symposia;
- Annual publication of a bibliography on Italian studies.
The Institute also has the best-stocked library in Tokyo in the field of Italian studies with 12,000 volumes in Italian and 3,500 in Japanese, a newspaper library and a video library.